About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Turkey Burger-Turkey Meatloaf


I should start by apologizing for the mini-blog hiatus I took last week.  I think I might have gotten a little distracted by the Olympics :)  Such a huge fan.  I always love watching swimming and gymnastics, but I have a new-found love this year for volleyball and water polo {especially the women's teams...our women rock!}  Have you all been watching?

I didn't post a menu this week because it's not much different from last week's.  Plans changed a little last week, as they often do, and I only ended up cooking once, so my menu is pretty much the same this week.

This recipe below is a recipe from a menu I posted a couple of weeks ago.  You might remember my favorite turkey burger recipe that I posted last summer.  Well, that is where my inspiration for this turkey meatloaf came from, hence the long, weird name.  I usually leave out the breadcrumbs to make the dish carb-free, but feel free to add some in if you'd like.  The meatloaf holds together great without them though.  Sometimes, I wrap the meatloaf in turkey bacon for an added smoky flavor, and sometimes I don't.  It's delicious either way.  To keep the whole meal carb-free, I usually make a creamy cauliflower puree {in place of the usual mashed potatoes} to eat with the meatloaf.  I'll post that easy recipe tomorrow.


Turkey Burger-Turkey Meatloaf

1 1/4 lbs. dark ground turkey
1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. grainy Dijon mustard
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 egg, beaten
salt
pepper
4 slices turkey bacon {optional}

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, gently mix together the turkey, cheese, scallions, mustard, sun dried tomatoes, and egg.  Salt and pepper generously.  

In a small baking dish, mold the meat mixture into a evenly shaped, rectangular loaf.  If you are adding the turkey bacon, cut the turkey bacon slices in half, and wrap evenly over the top and sides of the meatloaf.

Without turkey bacon
With turkey bacon
Cook the meatloaf in the oven for 40-45 minutes.  Allow the meatloaf to sit for a few minutes before slicing.  Serve with yummy, creamy cauliflower puree.  

No comments:

Post a Comment