About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Glazed Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies



These are by far some of the best chocolate chip cookies EVER.  I think it has something to do with the soft texture created by the cream cheese, and the combination of chocolate and orange {there aren't many things better!}.

I first had these cookies when my good friend {then roommate} Jess made them for some guests when we were living together in college.  I'm pretty sure I ate more cookies than the guests!  Oops!  Since then, this has been my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe.  They are a bit more labor intensive than a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe, but it is SO worth it!

Glazed Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cookie Dough:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 oz. cream cheese
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. orange zest
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips

Frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tbsp. butter, melted
5-6 tsp. orange juice
1/4 tsp. orange zest 
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper.  {Don't skip this step!  I've skipped it before, and these cookies ALWAYS turn out better when cooked on parchment paper...I promise!}

Use an electric mixer if you have one to make the dough.  It will make your life SO much easier.  In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese, and sugar.  Add the eggs, one-by-one, followed by the vanilla and orange zest.  Mix well, using a spatula to scrap the sides and bottom from time to time.  

Sift the flour and salt together {sometimes I skip this step....woops!} and gradually stir into the butter mixture.  Turn off the mixer and fold the chocolate chips in by hand.

Drop the cookie dough by teaspoons onto the prepared cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.  Bake the cookies in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.  Remove the cookies onto a drying rack and allow them to cool.


While the cookies are cooling, make the glaze.  In a small bowl, stir together the powdered sugar, melted butter, orange juice, orange zest and salt.  Depending on the consistency you desire, you may need to add more or less orange juice, so have some in reserve.  Mix until smooth.

Once the cookies are cooled, frost them with the orange glaze.  Some people like to apply the glaze while the cookies are still hot, but I prefer to apply the glaze once they are cooled.  Either way works just fine, although it will alter the look of the cookie a bit {but definitely not the taste!}.  

These cookies can and should be devoured immediately.  If you somehow have will power enough to freeze them {good luck with that}, they can be frozen for up to 2 months.

Source: Recipe adapted from my good friend, Jess Good

No comments:

Post a Comment