About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Turkey Meatballs


I made these meatballs the other night, cooked them in an super easy and quick-to-make tomato sauce, and served them as the main course with fresh ricotta on top.  I sauteed some zuchinni and winter squash as a side, and between the delicious meatballs and the zucchini slices to help mop up the sauce, we didn't even miss the spaghetti!

I usually bake my meatballs because I've had bad luck with them falling apart in the sauce otherwise, but I decided to try again.  This time I succeeded!  The size of your meatball is the key.  If you make them small enough, they'll hold together.  If you make them too big, they will fall apart.  At the suggestion of Gina, I made them about the size of a ping pong ball, and they turned out perfectly!

Turkey Meatballs

20 oz. (1.3 lb.) ground turkey
1/4 c. whole wheat breadcrumbs
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. parley, finely chopped
1 egg
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. salt

Gently mix everything together.  Be careful not to over mix, so that your meatballs aren't tough.  Form the meat into small balls, about the size of ping pong balls.



Sauce

1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1/2 small onion, cut into large wedges
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 c. fresh chopped basil
salt and pepper, to taste

In a large dutch oven, saute the garlic in the olive oil until fragrant.  Add the tomatoes, onion, herbs, salt and pepper.  Bring a boil before turning down to a simmer.

Once the sauce is simmering.  Add the meatballs gently to the sauce.  Cook for about 20 minutes.


Serve with fresh ricotta on top.  (For the zucchini on the side, I sauteed two zucchini in about 1 tbsp. lemon olive oil and added 2 tsp. fresh chopped basil.)

Source: Gina


No comments:

Post a Comment