About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Spinach & Artichoke Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms




When you're cooking for two, the best recipes are the ones that allow enough for leftovers the next day, right?  Since the recipe makes 4 portabellos, it falls perfectly into that category--delicious dinner two nights in a row for only one night of cooking.  Unless, of course, you are scatter-brained like me, and forget to put the container in the fridge before going to bed for the night, only to discover that night's dinner out on your kitchen counter when you wake up the next morning.  Yep, that would be me.  Oh well, best laid plans...

I  oringially found this recipe over at Annie's Eats a while back and knew immediately I wanted to try it.  Luckily, I was able to adapt it slightly so that it fits within Phase One of the South Beach diet for B.  I used low-fat cream cheese, substituted 0% Greek yogurt for the mayonnaise, and left out the breadcrumbs.  The result was a delicious, meat-free, easy-to-prepare dinner!

Spinach & Artichoke Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms

4 portabello mushrooms, wiped clean with a dry towel and stems removed
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
4 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
3 tbsp. 0% Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
10 oz. frozen, chopped spinach, thaw and squeeze out the extra juice
9 oz. frozen artichokes, thawed, patted dry and coarsely chopped
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese

Combine the olive oil and garlic.  Prepare the mushrooms by using a spoon to gently scrap out the gills.  Brush the mushrooms with the garlic-infused oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees.


While the mushrooms are cooking, combine the cream cheese, yogurt, spinach, artichokes, and dried thyme.


When the mushrooms are cooked, pour off any excess juices, and then pile the stuffing up high on each mushrooms.  Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese and drizzle with the remaining oil.


Bake in the oven for another 10 minutes at 450 degrees.



*And don't forget: If you want leftovers the next day, don't be scatter-brained like me.  Put the leftovers in the fridge :)

No comments:

Post a Comment