About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Friday, October 21, 2011

Roasted Chicken with Acorn Squash

I cooked for the first time in my new kitchen a couple of days ago and made one of my favorite fall chicken dishes.  It's the perfect weeknight dinner.  Quick and easy.  You can chop the vegetables ahead of time and prepare the chicken, and then cook everything quickly once you get home.

Don't be scared by acorn squash.  It much easier to prepare than it looks.


All you need to do is wash and dry the squash, cut it in half lengthwise, and then scoop out the seeds with a spoon.  Just like you clean out a pumpkin.  There's no need peel the squash.  The skin softens as it cooks and is completely edible.  Once the squash is all clean, you're ready to slice it up and roast it.



This recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food: Great Food Fast cookbook.


Roasted Chicken with Acorn Squash


1 acorn squash, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut in. 1/2 in. thick slices
1 lb. cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 large red onion, cut into 1/2 in. wedges
8 garlic cloves, crushed (My cloves were HUGE, so I only used 4.  You be the judge!)
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3-4 bone-in chicken breast halves
1 tbsp dried rosemary (I used herbes de Provence b/c I was out of rosemary, and it was declious!)
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a large roasting pan, combine the squash, mushrooms, red onion, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Toss to evenly coat all vegetables and roast for 15 minutes.


While the veggies are cooking, prepare the chicken.  In a small bowl, mix together the rosemary (or herbes de Provence) with salt and pepper.  Lift up the skin of each chicken breast and rub with the salt/pepper/herb mixture.

When the veggies are ready, lay the chicken breasts on top.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle more salt and pepper on top and then cook for another 35 minutes in the oven.  It's that easy!

This picture doesn't make it look very good,but trust me it is :)





No comments:

Post a Comment