About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Getting to Know You...

Since moving to California a week ago, I've been doing a lot of reading in an attempt to get to know my new "home" state a little better.   What fascinates me the most about California is its diversity of climates, regions, and landforms.  You can be at the beach one day and the desert the next.  Or, if you get tired of the heat and sunshine (clearly, because you're crazy), you can head up north to the mountains and go skiing.  Pretty awesome if you ask me.

The more I read and learn about California, the happier I am that we decided follow our gut and move out west.  My heart will forever belong to the east coast, but I can't wait to get to know California more.

Here are some interesting facts I've learned so far.  I apologize, in advance, if these are old news to you.  Most were new to me and I thought they would be fun to share! (Must be the teacher coming out in me!)

California state bird: quail
California state animal: the grizzly bear


California state tree: the redwood (I can't wait to see these, btw!)
Did you know that Mt. Whitney, located in the Sequoia National Park, is the highest point in the United States outside of Alaska? Cool, huh?

Redwood trees


California state flower: the poppy
California state marine mammal: the gray whale
California state fish: the trout
California state reptile: the desert tortoise

California state mineral: gold (duh)


California state motto: "Eureka, I found it!" <---this refers to the discovery of gold at Sutter's Mill in 1848 and, like most state mottoes, it cracks me up.

I know these are pretty basics facts, but I love them because I think they really show the diversity of California.  And, I may be a nerd, but they excite me to begin exploring my new state.  Now, where to go first??

No comments:

Post a Comment