About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Monday, January 30, 2012

Turkey & Kale Soup


I most often come up with new recipes when I have ingredients at home that I know I need to use before they go bad.  {It kind of makes me feel like I'm on Chopped, although my ingredients are normal compared to that show!}  This recipe resulted from one of those times.  I knew I had ground turkey that needed to be cooked and some kale that needed some attention.  I thought about making a salad or cooking up some kale wraps, but I ended up settling on soup.  And, I'm so glad that I did.  Kale is delicious in any soup, and was a perfect compliment to the ground turkey in this dish.  Such a warm and hearty, yet light soup!

I didn't do this, but if you want to add a little more depth of flavor (and color), try adding about a tablespoon of tomato paste to the cooked turkey before pouring in the chicken broth.  I'm definitely doing that next time.


Turkey & Kale Soup


2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 celery stacks, diced
1 large red  bell pepper, diced
1 lb. lean, ground turkey
1 tsp. herbes de Provence
1 tbsp. tomato paste {optional}
4-5 cups chicken broth
1 {14.5 oz.} can white beans, drained
1 bunch kale, chopped and de-stemmed
salt & pepper

In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add the onions, celery and red pepper.  Cook until soft, 4-6 minutes.  Add the ground turkey and cook all the way through.  Salt and pepper to taste and add the herbes de Provence {this is also where you'll add the tomato paste, if you're using it}.

Once the meat is cooked all the way through, add the chicken broth and beans before bringing the soup to a simmer.  Add the kale, and allow the flavors to simmer for about 30 minutes.

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment