About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Monday, January 23, 2012

Chicken, Ham & Swiss Roulades

I love Real Simple magazine {especially their recipes} and I love cookbooks {I read them cover to cover}, so when I opened up this gift from my parents on Christmas morning, I was SO excited:


Not only does this cookbook contain some of my favorite Real Simple recipes that are already mainstays in my kitchen, but I found a lot of inspiration for new dishes to add to my kitchen repertoire.  There are literally TONS of post-it notes now sticking out of this book in my kitchen.

The first recipe I decided to make: chicken, ham & Swiss roulades.  So. Simple. So. Delicious. and healthy too.  Plus, you probably already have all the ingredients in your kitchen, so you can make some tonight!


Chicken, Ham & Swiss Roulades 
Serves 2

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 full-sized breasts)
4 thin slices cooked ham
2 very thin slices Swiss cheese
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

Heat the oven to 400 degrees.  

Place each chicken breast between plastic wrap and, using a meat tenderizer, pound the chicken breasts into chicken cutlets.  You want to the cutlets to be no more than 1/4 in.-thick.

Unwrap the chicken and salt and pepper both sides.  Layer the ham, then the cheese on top of the pounded chicken.


Carefully roll the chicken, ham, and Swiss into a log shape, and skewer the roulades closed with toothpicks.


In an ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add the roulades, and cook on all sides until browned.  This will take about 4-6 minutes.  Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast the roulades until cooked through, about 18-20 minutes.

Serve with a small green salad on the side and some good Dijon mustard.


Source: slightly adapted from Real Simple's Dinner Tonight: Done!






No comments:

Post a Comment