About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Stuffed Pepper Soup


I love recipes that take an old classic, like stuffed peppers, and give them a new twist.  So, when I found this recipe, I knew I had to try it.  I usually make stuffed peppers during the summer months when the green peppers are at their peak, but by using the same ingredients and turning them into a soup, I was able to give stuffed peppers an updated "winter time" feel.  This is the perfect dish to warm your belly on a cold night.  And, it really does taste like a stuffed pepper!

The original recipe called for serving the soup over a bed of rice, but I opted for leaving out this step.  And, you know what?  I can honestly say I didn't miss the rice.  But, my all means, if you want to serve it over rice, go for it.  You'll just add to the authenticity of the soup!



Stuffed Pepper Soup

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2-3 green bell peppers, chopped
1 small onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 3/4 c. tomato sauce
2 c. chicken broth
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot,  saute the onions, peppers and garlic in the olive oil for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.  Next, add the ground beef and cook until brown, about 5 minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste.  If you're not using a lean ground beef, make sure you drain the fat before moving on to the next step.


Add the remaining ingredients, stir everything together, and turn the heat up to high to bring to a boil.  Once the soup is boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and cook on low heat for about 30 minutes.  Serve with your favorite shredded cheese on top!



Source: adapted from Gina's Skinny Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment