About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Summertime Squash Casserole


One of my favorite summer vegetables is squash.  So, when my dad sent some of his homegrown squash all the way to NYC, I knew just what I would make with it....squash casserole.  Yummmmm.

A couple of weeks ago, I came across a a delicous-looking lightened-up version of squash casserole in Southern Living.  I decided to try it out, making a few additions and deletions along the way.  It was a scrumptious AND healthier version of one of my all-time summertime favorites.

Lightened Squash Casserole
3 lb. yellow squash
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
1 c. grated carrots (save yourself the trouble and buy them already shredded)
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
1 (8 oz.) container of light sour cream
1 c. crushed cornflakes
2 tbsp. melted butter

Optional ingredients: The original recipe called for 1/4 c. chopped fresh chives, which sounds delicious to me.  Unfortunately, I didn't have any, so I had to leave them out.  I'll definitely add them next time though.  The recipe also called for 1/2 c. of French fried onions as part of the topping.  However, that didn't sound very healthy or light to me, so I doubled the amount of cornflakes to 1 c. instead and called it a day.

Cut the squash into 1/4 inch-thick slices.  Put the squash, onion and 1 tsp. salt in a large pot.  Cover completely with water.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for 5 minutes.  Drain well.


Add the grated carrots, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and 1/2 tsp. salt along with the squash in a large bowl.  (This is where you would add the chives if you're using them.)  Fold the mixture together and spoon into baking dish.


For the topping, melt the butter and add the crushed cornflakes.  I used a potato masher to crush them, but you could also put them in a resealable plastic bag to crush before adding them to the butter.

Before adding the cornflake topping, I sprinkled a little cheddar cheese on top of the squash mixture, just because, and then I added the cornflakes.

Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.  Let it cool for about 10 minutes.  Then, devour!

No comments:

Post a Comment