About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Lesson Learned


About six months ago, I did something I never do.  You know those ad sponsors that pop up on the side of your Facebook account, like " Dr. Oz--Lose 30 lbs Monthly" or "Food Festivals--Save 50-70% on Food, Wine and Beer Festivals!"  You probably always ignore them, like I usually do too.  Except for once, when I was drawn in by a weakness of mine....shoes.

The ad, which was for a website called Shoedazzle.com, was showing off some great shoes all amazingly for only $39.95 each.  Well, I love a good deal, so naturally I was drawn in.  The website and concept is actually pretty cool.  You take a short "Style Quiz" to discover your "Style Profile," and then a stylist will handpick shoes, handbags, and jewelry just for you.  The only time you have to pay (or so I thought) was if/when you purchase a pair of shoes from your "Showroom."  So of course, I was intrigued and took the quiz.  And I bought a pair of shoes (which by the way are hideous, I've never worn them, and they still for some reason live in my closet).

Once the terrible shoes came, I thought I was done with Shoedazzle for good.  That is until I noticed a charge for $39.95 on my credit card bill a couple of days ago.  After a little investigation as to why I was being charged AGAIN for that awful pair of shoes I bought all the way back in February, I FINALLY read the fine print:

Your Monthly Style Showroom

Once you become an official member of ShoeDazzle, your billing information will be kept on file and you will be charged $39.95 on the sixth day of each month, which includes a credit for one item in your showroom or DazzleAvenue, our stylists, and the benefits of membership. If you don't find a resist-me-not item in your showroom, you can easily opt to skip the month at no cost to you.
Apparently, I had become an official member that fateful day in February when I purchased that now legendary pair of shoes, and I had been charged $39.95 each month since!

Luckily, this story has a good ending.  It turns out that you earn a credit each month that you are charged and don't make a purchase, so I had accumulated 5 points over the past months!  I decided I needed to end this once and for all by spending all my credits at once and then promptly and permanently cancelling my account.

Since my sister is vising this week, I decided to share my credits with her, so, yesterday, we went on a mini shopping spree.  Here's one thing I bought:


And here's one thing Sarah bought:


Here's to hoping our purchases rock, and that I learned my lesson: ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT!



No comments:

Post a Comment