About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Succotash

This is such a healthy, easy and versatile side-dish that pairs well with almost anything.  I usually serve it with grilled scallops or shrimp on top, but before I left for my trip to VA, I made Brad a big container to eat alongside some turkey meat loaf while I was gone.


Succotash is fun to make because you can delete and/ or add vegetables and ingredients according to the season, your mood, or (in my brother's case) your ever changing taste-buds.  When I make succotash, I like to cook the vegetables just enough that they begin to soften up, but still maintain a little bit of a bite.  But, if you prefer your veggies cooked further, just cook longer.  You really can't go wrong.

My recipe was adapted from this recipe by Ellie Krieger on the Food Network.

Succotash
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced into half-moon shapes
2 1/2 c. of frozen corn
1 1/4 c. frozen edamame, shelled
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
salt and pepper
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar

Add the onion to a skillet and cook over medium-high heat until softened, about 2 minutes.  Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add the zucchini, corn, and edamame, and cook for about 7 minutes, turning the heat down to medium.



Add the tomatoes, vinegar, salt and pepper at the very end.  Saute a couple minutes longer and then serve.  This succotash makes a great side-dish with a hot meal, but it's also great cold :)


No comments:

Post a Comment