About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup with Pork & Butternut Squash



Here's another slow cooker recipe that was a huge success.  The addition of butternut nut squash makes the soup both decadent, and perfect for fall.

To be fair, if you look closely at the picture of the soup I made you will notice a lack of tortilla.  This wasn't intentional, and when we have leftovers I will be adding homemade tortilla strips.  BUT we had a bit of a sink emergency the other night, and I wasn't able to get into my kitchen for a couple of hours right around dinner time.  Needless to say, once the maintenance man left, B and I both were starving, so we I guess we technically had tortilla-less soup last night.  It was delicious none-the-less!

Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup with Pork & Butternut Squash

2 lb. pork butt or pork shoulder, fat trimmed and cut in half
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 {14.5 oz.} can diced tomatoes
1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and sliced
2 cloves garlic, whole
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 1/4 tsp. salt
4 cups water


In a 4-to-6-quart slow cooker, combine the pork, squash, tomatoes, jalepeno, garlic, chili powder, salt and water.  Stir everything together before putting the lid on the slow cooker.

Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or on high for 5 to 6 hours.

Serve with tortilla strips (homemade or store-bought), sour cream, cheese, cilantro, radishes, and/ or wedges of lime.

*Next time I make this I may try frozen butternut squash to save myself a little time.  If you want to try frozen butternut squash instead, you will most likely need 2 {16 oz.} bags.  Let me know if you try it, and how it works out!

Recipe adapted from Real Simple

No comments:

Post a Comment