About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pumpkin Pound Cake with Buttermilk Glaze


I'm not much of a baker, but every year around this time, I get that itch.  The itch to make something with pumpkin.  Last year, I made a pumpkin cheesecake and in past years I've made many different variations of pumpkin cookies...chocolate chip pumpkin, pumpkin with maple frosting, pumpkin with walnuts, etc.

This year I decided to make a pumpkin pound cake.  I found a great recipe at My Recipes for a pumpkin pound cake with buttermilk frosting, and I instantly knew this was what I wanted to make.  The directions looked easy enough, but, more importantly, I adore buttermilk. I just love that creamy tang.  I couldn't wait to see what it would taste like when added to pumpkin and spices.  I'm happy to report that the combination was a divine success. 

Pumpkin Pound Cake with Buttermilk Frosting
recipe from My Recipes

Cake:
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
1/2 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 c. granulated sugar
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. buttermilk

Frosting:
1/3 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. granulated sugar
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/8 tsp. baking soda

Grease and flour a bundt pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Spread the canned pumpkin on a plate with two paper towels underneath and two paper towels on top to drain some of the water from the pumpkin.  Let sit until you are ready to add the pumpkin to the wet mix.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.

Cream the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together in a mixer.  Add the eggs, one at a time.  Add the pumpkin and vanilla extract.

Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet mixture.  Once the flour is fully incorporated, turn the mixer to its lowest setting and add the buttermilk.

Pour the batter into the bundt pan and cook for 55 minutes.  

While the cake cools, make the glaze.  Heat the buttermilk in a small saucepan.  Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Cook about 1 minute, or until thick.  Remove from heat and drizzle over the cake.

Cut yourself a huge slice, pour a big glass of milk, and bribe your significant other to do the dishes.  Feel free to use the cake as leverage if needed :)






Linked up with Tasty Tuesdays!

1 comment: