About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Monday, July 23, 2012

Pepper Jack & Arugula Stuffed Chicken


I know it's Monday, and I should be posting my weekly menu, BUT I don't need one this week.  Why?  See these two beautiful people...


They're getting married this weekend!! {And, I'm counting on THEM feeding me this week :)}

Menu Mondays will be back next week, though. I promise.  In the meantime, will you accept a delicious recipe from my menu last week?  Maybe you can work it into your own menu this week...{wink, wink}

Pepper Jack & Arugula Stuffed Chicken with Succotash


4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups baby arugula, chopped
4 oz. pepper-jack cheese (I just eyeballed this)
2 tbsp. olive oil
Cajun Spice Blend 
2 cups frozen edamame
2 yellow summer squash, cut in half and sliced into half-moons
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
juice of 1 lime

Combine the cheese and arugula in a small bowl.  Cut a deep, 2-inch wide opening into the thickest part of each chicken breast.  {I think this is easiest to do if you place one had firmly on top of the chicken breast, and use your dominant hand to cut.  That should hold the chicken in place.}  Stuff the chicken with the arugula mixture.  Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with as much or as little of the Cajun spice blend as you like.

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high in a large cast iron skillet.  {If you would prefer, you can also cook the chicken on the grill.  The cooking time would stay the same.}  Add the chicken, and cook on each side for 8-10 minutes.  If you are cooking inside, use a splatter screen!  Once the chicken is cooked all the way through, transfer it to a cutting board to cool slightly.

While the chicken is cooking, heat another tablespoon of olive oil in a second skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the edamame and squash.  Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the squash is just tender.  Finally, add the tomatoes for another minute or two, and then remove the veggies from the heat.  Add the lime juice, and stir everything together.

Serve the chicken and succotash side-by-side, and you have the perfect, easy {and well-balanced} summertime meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment