About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Slow Cooker Beef, Zucchini & Black Bean Chili


My love affair with chili {especially during the cooler months}, has been well documented on this blog here and here.  But, as many times as I have made chili,  this was my first time ever making chili in the slow cooker.  I made it on Sunday morning {the prep time consisted of no more than 10 minutes}, put it on low and then spent the rest of day the day watching football, running errands, and enjoying the beautiful fall day outside with Brad and Mack.  I didn't have to think about dinner again until we were ready to eat later that evening.  Perfect.

Oh, and it's really, really yummy.  And, unless you're cooking for a crowd, it makes lots of leftovers.

Beef, Zucchini & Black Bean Chili

1-1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
3 zucchini, halved and sliced into 1/2-in. pieces
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 {28 oz.} can fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt &1/2 tsp. pepper

Add all the above ingredients into the slow cooker.  Stir everything together.  {Don't worry if the chili seems really thick, this is a really meaty chili, and the slow cooker will release moisture from the ingredients as it cooks.}

Place the lid on the slow cooker, and cook on low for 7-8 hours.  Stir once halfway through the cooking process.

Serve with your choice of toppings.  We chose fiesta blend cheese, sour cream and homemade tortilla strips.  Avocado would also be delicious.



1 comment:

  1. This is making me hungry! I am going to try this recipe tomorrow, especially now that the cooler weather finally arrived here in Southern Cali! I am all about slow cooker anything, and it helps having 2 kids both with afterschool activities 4x a week! So we are always on the go! Thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete