About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Friday, September 23, 2011

5 Reasons to Love Fall...


Fall has arrived!  And, while I do love summer, I am so excited for its arrival.  Unfortunately, like most of the east coast, I'm welcoming fall today from the inside, thanks to the rainy weather outside.  Oh well...since I'm stuck inside, I'll take the opportunity to share with you all why I love fall :)

1.  Honeycrisp Apples.


I love apple season, especially honeycrisp apple season.  B and I discovered these apples for the first time last fall, and we've been dreaming about their return ever since.  I'm picky about apples.  I don't like them if they're too mushy, too sweet, too tart, etc.  You catch my drift.  Honeycrisp apples are perfection--just the right amount of crispness and sweetness that you want in an apple.  Perfect on their own or cut into slices and dipped in some peanut or almond butter.  Yum.

2.  Football.

Saying I love football is more than an exaggeration.  Football is THE reason I love fall so much.  Ever since I was a baby sitting on my dad's knee, I've been a football fanatic.  I grew up rooting on Troy Aikman and the Cowboys, but since getting married and moving to New York, I now bleed blue of a different color...go G-Men!  (Sorry, Dad!)  At our household we also bleed burnt orange...hook 'em horns!  But, while I definitely root for and against certain teams, I never discriminate against which games I will watch.  I watch them all.  So, if you ever need a football watching buddy, call me.  I'm available.

3.  Pumpkins.  

I love literally everything about these luscious gourds.  I'm thinking that once we get to Cali, and I have a functional kitchen again, I really want to try making my own pumpkin puree to use in pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin muffins...mmmmmmmm.  The possibilities are endless!  I'm also looking forward to having a car and being able to go to a pumpkin patch this year to pick out some pumpkins to carve!  I'm not artistic at all and usually shy away from artsy projects, but I love carving pumpkins (and am actually pretty good, if I do say so myself.)  Admittedly, though, my favorite part of carving pumpkins is roasting the seeds afterwards.  I plan on using this recipe this year as it uses olive oil instead of the pounds of butter like my usual recipe :)


4.  The colors.

I love, love, love the reds, oranges, yellows and browns of this season.  From the changing leaves and the fruits and vegetables in season to the holiday decorations.  Fall colors make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.


5.  And, last but not least, Thanksgiving. 

This is by far my favorite holiday.  What could be better than a day filled with family, good food,  AND football.  Perfect.  We'll be staying out on the west coast this year since we'll have pretty much just arrived, so our Thanksgiving will look a little different this year for sure.  But, hopefully we'll be able to find some friends in LA to share the holiday with us this year.  Any takers?  I'll cook :)

Here's what last year's feast looked like...


Now who wants to come to Thanksgiving dinner?? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment