About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Red Wine Braised Short Ribs


I'm currently obsessed with a "new-to-me" cooking show on the Food Network called 5 Ingredient Fix.  Anyone else watch it?  The chef, Claire Robinson, makes everything look so easy and so delicious, and I've been dying to try out a couple of her recipes.  So, I did.  I made her red wine braised short ribs with braised red cabbage from the episode "Low and Slow."  And, they were both de-li-cious.

I didn't change the recipe, since I've never cooked short ribs before and didn't want to mess anything up.  So the  recipe below is from the Food Network website (gotta give credit where credit is due).

Red Wine Braised Short Ribs

Ingredients

  • 4 English cut beef short ribs, trimmed (roughly 8 ounces each)
  • Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
  • 1 bottle full bodied red wine, such as Cabernet
  • 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
  • cloves garlic, peeled and smashed

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Pat ribs dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper on all sides.
Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the ribs and brown on all sides. Transfer the ribs to a plate, then add the garlic and stir until softened but not brown, about 1 minute. Carefully pour in the wine, bring to a boil and cook until reduced to about 1 cup. Add the ribs and any juices they have released back to the pot along with the stock. Reduce the heat and bring to a simmer, then cover the pot and transfer it to the oven, to braise, until the meat easily falls off the bone, about 3 hours.

Transfer the ribs to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Strain the braising liquid through a fine mesh sieve into a saucepan set over medium-high heat. Simmer the liquid, skimming fat as necessary, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Taste for seasoning and adjust, if necessary. Transfer the ribs and sauce to a serving dish and serve.

I served the short ribs with creamy Parmesan grits and braised red cabbage.  So good.  You can find the recipe for the cabbage here.



No comments:

Post a Comment