About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Monday, February 6, 2012

Red Curry Chicken & Vegetable Stir Fry


Have I told you all yet that I got a wok for Christmas?  Well, I did.  And, it's so cool.  It was one of those gifts that you never knew you wanted until you got it.  Thanks, B :)

This is first recipe that I've made in the wok, but it was definitely an easy and delicious way to break it in. {Don't worry if you don't have a wok.  You can still make this in a normal frying pan.}

Red Curry Chicken & Vegetable Stir Fry


1 cup brown rice
4 tbsp. vegetable oil {or peanut oil, if your husband's not allergic!}
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 1-inch pieces {about 1 lb.}
1 tbsp. red curry paste {In reality, I probably used a little more than this.  You be the judge.}
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 scallions, sliced
1 zucchini, cut into thin strips
1/2 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut in half
1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut in half
3-4 fresh basil leaves {Thai basil will give a more authentic flavor, if you can find it}, chopped

In a medium-sized sauce pan, cook the rice with 2 cups of water and pinch of salt.  Once the rice has absorbed all the water, remove it from the pan and allow to cool.  Make the rice a few hours before you cook the stir-fry or even the night before, if you have time.

In the wok, heat 2 tbsp. of the vegetable oil over medium high heat.  Add the chicken, and cook all the way through.  Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the wok and set aside.

Add the remaining vegetable oil to the wok along with the curry paste and saute for 1 minute.  Next add the scallions and garlic, and saute for 1-2 minutes.  Then add the vegetables and cook for 5-6 minutes.  Stirring everything together, moving it around the pan often.

Finally add the chicken back to the wok along with the rice.  Cook everything together for another 3-4 minutes, or until the chicken and rice are warmed through.

Remove the stir fry from the heat and stir in the basil.  Serve hot.


Source: Adapted from a recipe given to me by a friend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment