About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Homemade Cheez-its

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE baked cheese crackers.  {think Goldfish, Whales, Cheddar Bunnies, Cheez-its...I've tried them all}  At this point, I'm practically a baked cheese crackers connoisseur...you know you're jealous.

So, when I found a recipe on another blog for homemade cheez-its, I couldn't wait to make it, and share the results with you guys.  The cheez-its turned out great, and while they taste a bit more like cheese straws than actual cheez-its, they are just as addictive.  And, preservative-free and not hard at all to make, might I add.

Homemade Cheez-its

1 cup flour
4 tbsp cold butter, cut into small pieces
8 oz. extra sharp grated cheddar cheese
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
3-4 tsp cold water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare a large baking sheet with parchments paper cut to fit the size and shape of the pan.

In a food processor, combine the flour, cheese, butter, salt and cayenne pepper.  Pulse until crumbly.



Add cold water, one teaspoon at a time, to bring the dough together.

Place the dough on the parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about 1/8 in.-thick.  They thinner you go, the crunchier the finished product. {I'm going to make mine even thinner next time}


Use a pizza cutter to divide the dough into squares and sprinkle with extra salt.


Cook for 25 minutes, cool and serve.

\

No comments:

Post a Comment