About Me

I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where I also attended college and met the love of my life. I lived in NYC for five years with my husband and Westie, Mack Brown before recently moving all the way across the country to Los Angeles. I'm an amateur chef, total foodie, lover of Westies, sports fanatic and self-proclaimed book worm. You'll find a little bit of all these things I love on this blog. And...most importantly, I'm a new mom to the most precious baby boy, Austn Robert, born this past October.

Amanda

Amanda

Brad

Brad

Austin Robert

Austin Robert

Mack Brown

Mack Brown

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Whole Wheat Linguini with Shrimp and Lemon-Basil Ricotta



I finally got back into the kitchen Sunday night and cooked my first meal since Austin was born.  I had an idea for a healthy pasta dish in my head, and Brad was nice enough to take baby duty while I spent some time cooking in the kitchen.  Oh, how I'd missed my kitchen.

This dish was the perfect welcome-back dish to make after a couple week cooking-hiatus since it was super easy, quick, delicious, and most importantly, healthy!  I didn't get a chance to take any pictures of the dish, but don't let that stop you from making this dish soon {and next time I make it, I promise to try and take/ upload a photo for you to see!}

Whole Wheat Linguini with Shrimp & Lemon-Basil Ricotta

3/4 lb. whole wheat linguini 
1 lb. shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 garlic clove, minced
2 lemons, zested and juiced
salt and pepper
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1-1/4 cups low-fat, part-skim ricotta cheese
4-5 basil leaves, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup frozen peas

Fill a large pot halfway full with water, and bring the water to a boil.  Salt the water, and then add the pasta once the water is boiling.  Cook until al dente.  

In the meantime, prepare your shrimp.  In a medium-sized bowl, add the shrimp, garlic, zest of one lemon, salt and pepper.  Toss together. 

In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, basil and juice and zest of one lemon. 

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.  Once the oil is hot, add the shrimp.  Cook until just pink.  While the shrimp are cooking, add the juice of 1/2 of the second lemon and the frozen peas. Toss everything together. 

Remove the shrimp from the heat.  Add the cooked pasta on top of the shrimp and mix in the ricotta mixture.  The heat of the shrimp and pasta will melt the ricotta and create a thick, creamy sauce.  Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment